Saturday, March 21, 2015

2015 DWD Green Swamp: 50K

I first have to say that I had a great day and a lot of fun! There were times during the race I wasn't happy, but that can happen in these long races. Now, it's over, I can safely say it was a blast!

A little history: Dances with Dirt holds 6 races, run consecutively, at the Green Swamp each year (50m,50k, marathon, relay, half marathon and 10k). Last year I ran the marathon. I went off course and ended up running 34 miles.

This year I entered the 50K. I had run the Everglades 50 miler two weeks ago so I knew I wasn't running this one hard and was looking forward to a couple hours running in the woods! The 50K is made up of a 6 mile loop, a 20 mile loop, and a 5 mile loop. I started the race way too fast (as usual) because it was cold (54°) and a couple guys flew out front at a fast pace. GI issues about three miles in caused me to take a brief break, but when I started again I began running with Traci Falbo, who holds the 48 hour indoor record (242.093 miles), and some, unknown, guy. Somehow, we took a wrong turn and the 6 mile loop became a 9 mile loop. This was a psychological blow coming so early in the race but it was only 3 extra miles, right! The "unknown guy" ran in another direction; I didn't see him again.

This year in the Green Swamp was much wetter than last year. My feet didn't get wet until I had run 11 miles but they stayed soaked and muddy for the remainder. The trails were flooded in places. Sometimes you could find a way around the deep water but it was always muddy on the sides of the water holes. Other times, the best, and only, strategy was to run right through. I ran with Traci for about 14 miles before she slowly started to pull away. I couldn't hold on to her! After Traci left me in her dust (mud) I ran alone for the next 20 miles. I went through some mental tough times around mile 17, knowing I had only gone half way (I knew if I didn't go off course again I would be running 34 miles!). I saw a lot of people on the course but ran alone. It was a beautiful trail run that wasn't too technical but the water slowed me down! I'm happy I logged another 50K and this race bumped me up to the "silver" level in the Marathon Maniacs! Woohoo! Happiness is in the details! Although I finished 10th male (12th overall) I finished first in my age group which scored me a nice little duffel bag as a prize! Again, it's the little things that make me happy!

Oh, although this plant fed runner didn't (couldn't) indulge in the pizza post race, the PB&J sandwiches at the aid stations really hit the spot! I always bring my own food to races, just in case there isn't enough for me; I feasted in the car on the way home!

Damn! The traffic on the drive home was horrendous! But who wants to hear about that!Type your paragraph here.

No comments:

Post a Comment